Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Chris Wood on FatMan Beyond with Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin.

Chris Wood on FatMan Beyond with Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin.

A MASSIVE, MASSIVE THANK YOU TO  WHO HELPED ME A LOT WITH THIS. ❤❤❤❤
to the anon who requested this, and for whoever wants to read this, enjoy!
__________________
Kevin: One of my favorite people in the world, man. If you’re lucky enough, you get to work with people you like, and I met this kid on a set and most people on sets, you know, ‘not necessarily all likable and stuff like that.
Marc: Careful.
Kevin: Yeah. (indistinct) This kid ain’t just likable, he’s fucking lovable, man. I was like, goddamn it, I fell in love with him the way I fell in love with Ben Affleck, where I’m like “You should be in everything! Fuckin, you should play Fletch.” I still to this day think he’d be the perfect Fletch based on the Gregory McDonald books. When we got lucky enough to work on Masters of the Universe from Mattel on Netflix, I, you know, there was always a like “We could probably get a big cast for this” and stuff, so I played very few cards in terms of like “Well, here’s who I think you could get and stuff like that” because Netflix, Mattel, these cats putting up the money, they should tell us who they want and stuff and Teddy who’s our Netflix exec, he loves MOTU, so like casting of course with Netflix, the ability to draw talent is gonna be right up his alley. But one of the only names I put forward in the process..I was like “I worked with Chris Wood, and he is SO good, like he would be an excellent Prince Adam and He-Man as well of course, but like, can I put him on the list?” and they put him on the list, and you know, I thought that was gonna be it, “Kevin made a suggestion and we’ll put him in there and then it will never happen.” And he got the job, legit got the job. Mattel loved him, Netflix loved him, boom, he’s our prince Adam! So, here tonight, you got him? Here tonight, man..*Skype sound* Making a little chit-chat, that’s the sound of joy. That means we’re gonna talk to a guest, we get to open the door and welcome to Fatman Beyond, uh, He-Man himself, ladies and gentleman, Prince Adam, I give you..Chris Wood.
Chris wood: Oh my goodness.
Marc: Look at that intro.
Kevin: And look at that pretty ass man, look at how pretty he is.
Chris: *Plays Jellicle Cats from CATS*
Kevin: Somebody’s been listening to the show!
Chris: Reminiscing about..the Winter Garden Theater.
Kevin: This is actually..I was gonna say..
Chris: My first Broadway show I ever saw, Kevin!
Kevin: Was CATS?
Chris wood: Was CATS!
Kevin: I totally forgot as we were sitting here, going “Nobody’s gonna care about us talking about Broadway.” There’s one guy waiting to be on the show who was like “I’d love it if it was all–”
Chris: I was having the time of my life! This was like Batman, Broadway edition, I loved it.
Kevin: Give us the full rundown of every Broadway show that you’ve ever seen, and when you say Broadway, do you mean–
Chris: I mean, I mean Broadway.
Kevins: You mean like seeing it on Broadway, not just live theater.
Chris: No man, that’s where I got my start, that was my whole…the stage was my whole thing. You’d have to sit here for like three hours to hear all of the shows I ever saw..
Kevin: Are you serious? So wait you-
Chris: It’s got a soft place in my heart still.
Kevin: You uhm, I remember when I was working on Supergirl, at one point Melissa was just like: “He was in Sweeney Todd!” and I was like “What?” Were you in Sweeney Todd?
Chris: It’s true, yeah.
Marc: With Victor Garber?
Chris: Yeah.
Kevin: Yeah, it’s surprising, he was in Sweeney Todd and has worked on a Victor Garber adjacent show.
Chris: Yeah.
Kevin: I (was) saying before Ben Affleck’s my last card, I’m turning to Chris Wood to make that Victor Garber connection.
Chris: Yeeees! Hey guys!
Marc: Hey man!
Kevin: How are you sir?
Chris: What’s going on?
Kevin: So wait, what- you were a musical theater guy.Correct?
Chris: That (was) my thing, man. All through college and high school and growing up, that was like– aside from making movies on my Super8– that was my, that was my other hobby.
Kevins: What is uh- look, for those who don’t follow very closely: Chris has acted for a long time, I met him playing Mon-El when I was directing Supergirl episodes. Of course as I said, he’s playing our He-Man. What was the vampire show that Mewes loves that you were on?
Chris: The Vampire Diaries, yeah, yeah.
Kevin: The Vampire Diaries as well and stuff, uhm, and he’s a wonderful actor and gorgeous human being but-
Chris: You’re Always- you have the kindest intros in the world, Kevin. You’re- I come on just blushing every time I talk to you.
Kevin: He’s wonderful (but) this is wanna lay out there: he is a fucking hell of a writer.
Marc: Outstanding.
Chris: Oh wow! It’s still going!
Kevin: And you know that like I’m not just saying it’s a butter mop because we could totally just talk about He-Man and that’s it but like– I’ve read a script that he wrote that took me back to 1994, where I was like– This is what I felt like when I saw Indie Film. It reignited a love for indie film because the film was impressionistic and wonderful and original and singular in vision and stuff..
Chris: And nobody will ever make it..*Laughs* All of the qualities of a terrific independent film.
Kevin: You got- you got some pushback on the movie. “Some people like this? What?” but he wrote- didn’t you write a script that went someplace legit or whatnot? Are you allowed to talk about it?
Chris: I did, yeah. It’s not public yet, but we’re–
Kevin: That’s not public? That wasn’t in the trades or anything like that?
Chris: Not yet, man. It’s still like..under the table wheeling and dealing.
Kevin: Alright, we can’t say what it is, but I can tell you right now, it’s like- it’s something that you and I (Marc) would work our Whole lives to achieve and we’ve been doing- all we have is writing. And this motherfucker has everything in life and he’s about to have that as well. But well worth it, because he’s wonderful at the written word. What do you attribute that to?
Chris: The written word?
Kevin: Yeah. Where’d you- How come you’re such a good writer?

Chris: Well, that’s very- Thank you first of all. Uhm, writing, I always kinda did it. I think I was like you, Kev, when I was a kid I just- no one was giving me pages to shoot or to have my friends put on plays in the garage, so I had to write my own words. So, I kind of always done it. I remember writing plays and I’d write up thirty pages of a script when I was 13 years old and I’d hand it out to my cousins and we’d perform it for all of our aunts and uncles and grandparents. I kind of always done it, just never been paid for it.
Kevin: Yeah, that’s the dream, to get paid for it at the same time. I saw when my man got married, he whipped out beautiful words as well. Like you know, where you get to like say something to your-
Marc: Your vows.
Kevin: There you go. That’s that word, “vows”
Chris: “What do we call those *snaps fingers* those promises we make.
Kevin: I smoked those away. *Laughs* Even his vows, were like beautiful, like incredibly well fuckin written, beautiful choice of words, look-
Chris: My missus..
Kevin: I mean, yes.
Chris: (Blew me out) the water.
Kevin: Who went first, was it you or her who went first?
Chris: She went first, that’s why I couldn’ t– I couldn’t speak through mine.
Kevin: Yeah, both of them got real beautiful.
Chris: Oh man..
Kevin: The thing is, I knew Woody was a writer because I read his script and what not. Didn’t homegirl open with “I’m not a writer” and then dropped one of the most beautiful fucking speeches that you’ve ever heard in your life? It was really great, really special for me to be there for, man. The point is this kid here writes well, the point is one day he’s gonna take my advice and write himself his own fucking lead in the movie that he should make, particularly that one that I love and make a movie, ‘cause he’s got all the ingredients. Like you know, like me I was like “I wanna make a movie” but like I had to hire actors and shit like that. Well, not hire but beg them to be in it. Thank God they were. But like he could write himself a part and be that fucking part and direct himself in the part, because he’s been on enough sets so knows how the process works.
Marc: So what you’re saying is he’s unfair.
Kevin: Yes, I don’t want to say it in front of him and embarrass the man but yeah.
Chris: I’m so sorry.
Kevin: Um, take us into, for those watching at home uh, talk a little bit about Vampire Diaries. When did that, was that the first thing you did?
Chris: That was one of my early kind of like public roles, um, I had done some stuff before that, nothing really that caught on with a fan base. That was sort of the first thing I did where people got excited about a character I was doing, um and wanted more of them, so they wrote me more stuff, um, yeah that was, I guess, I started on that seven years ago? Eight years ago?
Kevin: And what was the, did you leave? Did they kill you off gracefully? Did you leave because you were like “I don’t want to do this”.
Chris: Yeah, I was a bad guy, so with like all good villains in our favourite shows, they have to meet some sort of demise or just, you know go into a spin-off *Laughs*. It’s kind of either-or. Or they’re Skeletor and then they just exist forever as an equal force.
Kevin: So after, how long were you done with that show before you went and did Supergirl?
Chris: So I did a couple of things after that, um, I did a mini-series and I was on a limited series called ‘Containment’ about a pandemic, much like what we’re living in now. A little too timely, I kind of don’t recommend it at the moment, but yeah I did that and then right after that ended, that’s when I went up to Vancouver.
Kevins; So wait, and if I remember correctly, Containment, did Julie Plec do that? Didn’t she also…
Chris: Yeah, yeah, that was Julie Plec, who did Vampire Diaries. She kind of pulled me across, from that experience.
Kevin: When you’re making it, are you like “silly fictional world this will never happen.”.
Marc: “I’ll never need to remember any of this.”.
Chris: You know what, I feel like in a way the show kind of prepared me for the quarantine because I read so much about the Spanish Flu and about outbreaks and what actually happened, so when this all started happening, I was like “guys no no no, this is real” you know like, when people who play lawyers think they’re lawyers? It was kind of one of those things, suddenly I thought I knew, I was like “send me in I’m ready guys”.
Marc: Was there any Containment swag that you got to keep like “oh they sent me all these masks, I got all of these masks!”
Chris: I wish! I think I have some uh, dog tags and that’s about it..
Kevin: Alright so wait, did they come after you to come audition for Supergirl? How does that happen?
Chris: That was the first time in my career where I got offered something without reading for it. Which was kind of amazing. And I played hard to get for a second because I wasn’t sure if it was the right coloured spandex. I was always more of a Batman guy than a Superman and then eventually it clicked and apparently, there was some part of me that knew I was going to meet my future wife and the mother of my children. *laughs* So I guess it all worked out.
Kevin: I mean, yeah, and aside from just getting to play a hero and stuff, it gave you the rest of your life.
Chris: The rest of my life, which is a pretty lucky thing to get from a job, usually the job doesn’t serve you that. So that was pretty fantastic.
Kevin: And there are very few people who can walk away from the CW going “and that built the rest of my life”, you know what I’m saying?
Chris: *laughs* Well it does match, the network that matches my initials should promise me something like that. I think it’s somewhere in the rulebook, I don’t know where.
Kevin: I just put that together.
Marc: Like the Wendy’s girl walks into Wendy’s and is like “I will take all of your hamburgers, I’m Wendy.“
(all laugh)
Kevin: When you, when they gave you the suit finally, which is something you know, for the run of the show was something you would look forward to and then finally they do give you the suit, looked tight. Was it as uncomfortable as it looked?
Chris: Oh yeah, they’re terrible. It’s the worst thing you’ll ever wear in your life. You know, it’s like a giant onesie. A onesie is known for comfort and relaxation and too many zippers. This is as few of zippers and you can have including no accessibility to use the restroom, and you really can’t move in them, it kind of squeezes your everything, if there’s a thing that can be squeezed by the spandex. So things are going like, your elbow is going up to your shoulder and you’re not really sure why. You know that you’re not controlling it. Uh, it’s an odd experience, but um, I’ll tell you what, those lunch breaks were always very, it was like a great release to unzip the spandex and just lay on the couch.*laughs*
Kevin: Tell them what it’s like to be up on the harness thing man, when you have to do flying and shit, on the green screens.
Chris: The flying is fun, that’s one of the really, that’s when you feel like you’re on the trampoline in your backyard as a kid fighting the invisible villains. It’s literally the same thing, except someone is doing the jumping for you with a rope. But that’s when you get to play and feel like a kid. Those are my favourite, the big action sequences. They’re a bear to shoot because they take days to shoot two minutes, as you know. But when you’re actually doing the thing, it’s a great time.
Kevin: How long before you think, because I know it ain’t happening now, how many years from now do you think it’ll be before you and Melissa are like “let’s watch the episodes and see if we can spot the chemistry, and see if I can see myself falling in love and blah blah blah.” Do you think you’ll ever get there?
Chris: You know, I think it’s probably all over every second of every frame *laughs*. You could probably just uh, start at the beginning and then the first second on-screen probably in some way, shape or form go “oh there it is, there’s the first bits of it”.
Kevin: I believe that, Mr. Broadway.
Chris: Mr Broadway!!
Kevin: Can I tell him [Marc] a quick Broadway story? I actually went to a Broadway show, where I got to sit next to Mr Chris Wood.
Marc: Did you now?
Chris: Oh man, yeah you did.
Kevin: It’s beautiful. So we go see Beautiful, is the show, the Carole King musical.
Chris: It was also beautiful.
Kevin: It was beautiful, branded and in my heart. The lead of the show that night is of particular interest to both me and Mr Wood, him a lot more. Melissa Benoist, "rhymes with moist”, I learned that from Chris Wood.
Marc: That sounds awfully romantic.
Chris: He texts me late one evening..
Kevin I used to say Ben-o-ist all the time, I don’t know why.
Chris: And then I shot you a text I was like “You know it’s Benoist like moist, like a chocolate, decadent chocolate cake”.
Marc: That was the most Christopher Walken thing I’ve ever heard: “It’s Benoist like moist”.
Kevin: “And delicious like a chocolate cake”. We’re watching Beautiful and we’re watching Melissa open, this is the debut, the first opening night of the show, and Chris is there um, a bunch of people that love Melissa were there. Fucking Lynda Carter was there, Wonder Woman was there to watch Supergirl, how awesome is that? The curtain opens and it opens with Melissa, she’s up top like bang, singing, right at the top of the show and I’m sitting right next to Chris Wood who is crying. Crying those joyful tears of seeing his lady love’s dream come true. She always wanted, is that her first Broadway performance?
Chris: It was, first and last. *laughs*
Kevin: *jokingly* She’s not going to do it again?
Chris: No, no, no, no, no I’m just kidding, no it was her first. Life long dream.
Kevin: She was like, she’s like Chris, she’s a theatre kid. A couple of musical kids and stuff, drama kids.
Chris: You can say nerds, it’s okay.
Kevin: Drama nerds, the idea of Broadway, that was the goal, it wasn’t like “one day I’m gonna be Supergirl”, that was the surprise and the delight where she met the love of her life and stuff, but the dream was Broadway and her dream came true and as you know, if the curtains open and Melissa was crying, of course, people forgive it because they’re like “Oh look at her dreams coming true” the fact he was bawling, I was like “oh my God, she’s got the right guy.” All of the joy he felt for her joy, as she was concentrating on doing the very thing that she dreamed about doing, performing, so she can’t just stop the show and be like “can you fucking believe this?” which is how she feels inside, he’s expressing for her just by emotional, he was crying, it was one of the most beautiful things in the world.
Chris: I’m not ashamed of it.
Kevin: No!
Marc: Nor should you be.
Kevin: It was so fucking wonderful so supportive but he is a- point of the story, he is such a Broadway kid.
Chris: You could say I’m a Jellicle kid.
Kevin: Somebody could explain that.
Marc: I too was sitting next to Chris Wood when he was crying, but it was in New Orleans, in a waiting room to shoot a scene for Reebot, and he’s like “Listen, I gotta fly back to Vancouver and my flight is like twenty minutes from now and we haven’t shot yet, and it’s 4 AM and I’m a little bit daffy in the brain.
Kevin: *Laughs* It’s true.
Chris: Yeah, we were drinking- we were on coffee number four, at like 5 AM, and I looked at my watch and I went "Oh!! My flight’s at 6:30.” *Laughs*
Marc: “Anytime you’re ready, Kev!”
Chris: But we got it done.
Kevin: The boys were so sweet, they came out uhm- Chris and Jesse Rath came out and they’re in Jay and Silent Bob Reboot during Chronicon, if you haven’t seen it on Amazon Prime.
Chris: With the most extensive and detailed backstory that any limited amount of screentime has ever had in the history of film. There’s a story in those eyes, if you look closely.
Kevin: Oh my God, he’s working. But he’s sitting next to Mr. Marc Bernardin.
Marc: Yes.
Kevin: Throughout the night, and it was- we ran up against- what time do we finally shoot you guys?
C: I don’t even remember.
Marc: It must’ve been like 5:15 or something like that.
Kevin: And then rush them to the airport so they could get on (a) plane and get back to Vancouver, correct?
Chris: That’s right, I had to get back to work.
Kevin: Such a special-
Chris: But it was such a blast, though. And thank you again for letting us come out and play. That was such a trip.
Kevin: It just means that uh, one day your kids are gonna watch that movie and be like “They’re both in this terrible movie? Who are Jay and Silent Bob? Was this before you guys met on Supergirl? Why would you be in a movie like this?”
Cris: *Laughs*
Kevin: Let’s talk He-Man. What– Had you done voice work prior to He-Man?
Chris: So, when I was broke, living in New York, in between babysitting for three boys on the Upper West Side to make cash so I could support my acting aspirations, I bought a little USB microphone and I joined this- I can’t even remember the name of the site. It was some like, some freelance voiceover site, where you join and you can record audio samples and submit auditions and that was the only voice work I had done. I would- I was making like 100 bucks here and there, doing a voiceover for a animated– “Hey kids, don’t run in the cafeteria!” Like a school PSA, or I did some military PSA teaching soldiers etiquette in the barracks and– so strange. But that was all I had done.
Kevin: Tell'em about how- what acting in front of a microphone is like, 'cause it is acting-
Chris: Oh yeah.
Kevin: -And in some ways, it’s way more acting than one can do on a camera, on a camera one can be subtle, you can’t be subtle behind a microphone. You gotta communicate emotion just with the voice, tell 'em about it.
Chris: You know it’s so funny, I actually would describe voice acting as incredibly physical work, whereas camera acting it’s all- you know, it’s what you’re feeling, it’s..they say it’s through your eyes, which actually means they’re seeing through your eyes, through your soul, right? If you’re feeling something you’ll see it. But for voice acting, we don’t see anything, it’s all voice, so you really have to take the feeling and elevate it, and sometimes it helps to physically express it, so people sweat in the booth and they, you know, they grit their teeth and they stomp into the ground, and really, you have to really dig in, to grab the emotion and kinda amplify it, otherwise *monotone voice* you’re just kinda talking like you do on film and nothing’s really happening, and no one cares. Which is sort of what American acting is a lot of the time, we kinda just try not to seem like we’re interesting and care about anything. *Laughs*
Kevin: Is that the secret to acting? Did you just let it– Is that all acting or just CW acting? What kinda acting are we talking about?
Chris: I’m actually doing a master class series on early '20s acting and basically, the first lesson is to speak as monotone and enunciate as little as possible.
Kevin: Fucking worked out, you married Supergirl for heaven’s sakes.
Chris: Listen-
Kevin: Mumble away, kids! That’s what your future looks like if you can mumble your way through a performance.
Chris: Mumble core.
Marc: So what you’re saying is, voice acting then is very much like theater acting? Where like you’ve gotta play to the back row, right? Like you can’t see that person’s eye from a hundred feet away.
Chris: This guy!
Kevin: Right? This fucking guy, he made-
Chris: You’ve found a way to bring it back to CATS! Wow!
Kevin: Thank you, fucking excellent job, now there’s a writer. Marc Bernardin is a writer.
Marc: *singing* Midnight and the kitties are sleeping..
Kevin: Yes, your theater training really comes in handy in that shit, I never fucking put that together!
Chris: Yeah! Because you learn how to take a truthful feeling and amplify it, that’s what the best stage acting is, right? An emotion that an actor is feeling that can reach the back of the house and, with voice acting is that same sort of thing, but your relationship is with the microphone uhm, and it needs to go through the microphone and then into the character and then the audience gets to it. So it’s a whole– There’s a learning curve, I feel like it takes a second. Hopefully we got it right.
Kevin: Now you’re way younger than us, so I don’t know if like- was He-Man in your wheelhouse growing up? Or that was before you?
Chris: He-Man, yeah, He-Man was on uh– we didn’t have cable when I was a kid, 'cause we didn’t have the money for it. So I was watching, they were rerunning it on– I’m trying to think what network it would’ve been. I can’t even think of the names of what they were back then, but they were running- it was the rerun after the original series had aired. 'Cause I would watch that and I would watch X-Men, those are my cartoons.
Marc: Where’d you grew up, in New York?
Chris: In Ohio. Yeah, Dublin, Ohio, home of Wendy’s, yeah.
Kevin That’s true, that’s where Wendy’s begins, is in Ohio!
Chris: Yeah and there’s a callback to Wendy! So..
Marc: There’s a writer, there’s a writer! *points at both Marc and Chris*
Marc: High five!
Kevin: What uh– you know, we gotta be very careful of course, when we talk about MOTU, all of us are NDA’d up the A-H. You gotta play two different characters, what was that like?
Chris: That was one of the fun aspects of Prince Adam slash He-Man. It’s finding these very different placements for the same person, right? So it has to feel like the same character but that, their emotional states are- Prince Adam is sort of in a different place: he’s covering, he’s deflecting, he’s more fun and goofy..And then He-Man we have to drop the truth of his core mission, you know, to save the world, so..I mean, it starts with registers, right? That was the easy part. Prince Adam is supposed to be full of youth so he’s a little higher and a little more excited, and then He-Man, *lower voice* go down and be more heroic, down in the basement and use his big fighty-fight voice.
Kevin: It’s pretty awesome, like you join a tradition of storytelling in which performers get to be two people, like you know, whoever plays Batman gets to do Bruce Wayne, and then they get to do the Dark Knight, whoever plays Superman gets to do Clark Kent and then they get to do the Man of Steel, so you get to do Prince Adam and then you also get to be his heroic alter ego, man.
Chris: Right.
Kevin: It’s a wonderful fraternity that you join.
Chris: Although I hear I’m in deep trouble, because the internet has found out that I’m not bulking up–
Marc: You’re not doing the work?
Chris: –for my performance.
Kevin: Somebody on Twitter was just like “Chris Wood, he’s not big enough to play He-Man!” and they meant in size!
Marc: “Have you seen his thighs? His thighs are not nearly there!”
Kevin: “He skips leg day all the time” but oh my God–
Chris: You’re right! “He can’t possibly play the character!”
Kevin: Yeah I had to point out, I was like “I better get in touch with Netflix and see if they’ll send Chris some steroids and a fucking peloton so he could do the the voice in an animated series.”
Marc: Also, Chris is not from another planet. That’s also an issue. Could you not have cast an indigenous actor to play somebody from Eternia?
Kevin: Who was it tweeted, somebody tweeted something about Griffin Newman, they were like “Oh, tell Griffin we gotta cut his fucking legs off”. Maybe it was there, texted that, tweeted that. What uh, now that you’ve voice acted and led an animated series: is it something that you see yourself doing again? I mean, of course, hopefully we all get to do this one again, but other stuff. You got like one of them Disney voices and you can sing like a motherfucker, man.
Chris: Oh man, I would love to do Disney too. Let’s uh, put that in the bucket list. I honestly, I get a real kick out of it, it’s..like you said you can really go to a larger-than-life place, and it all, it always has to come from, you know, something sincere, that sense of play has to be grounded in something. You just kind of yell and scream, I think people can hear that..so there’s a challenge to it, but it’s also super rewarding because you get to, you know, play characters that fly on cats that are oversized and wear armor and..
Marc: Jellicle cats?
Kevin: None of that Jellicle shit in our show, Marc! Battle cats!
Marc: What kind of Jellicle are you? I’m a cringer cat!
Kevin:*jokingly* Somebody point a sword at me, quick. Yeah man, it’s a..
Chris: It’s a long life with He-Man too, 'cause this, I mean the character is so fun and obviously..I had the action figures when I was a kid and those toys..I hope to introduce my son to Masters of the Universe via the action figures, 'cause I mean they’re so weird! They really went there– have you seen that special that they do on the toys on the Netflix show?
Kevin: Oh yeah, the toy, the wonderful-
Marc: The Toys That Made Us.
Kevin: -The Toys That Made Us.
Chris: Yeah, yeah The Toys That Made Us.
Kevin: Their He-Man episode is unbelievably wonderful.
Chris: Oh, it’s great! And it just shows you- you know they were thinking “what weird crap would a little boy like, put together on a toy?” And then they end up with these wild names, and these characters who do insane things and it’s part of why it’s so fun. And the fact that they found a way to build a story around those bizarre toys, that was also compelling.
Kevin: Thank God they did–
Chris: 30 years later, it’s amazing.
Kevin: Thank God they did, we all have fuckin jobs, all three of us.
Chris: *laughs* You’re right.
Kevin: Wait so before we let you go, it occurs to me that Melissa just had her episode air of Supergirl, that she directed.
Chris: Directorial debut!
Kevin: That’s right! Did you- Did the Wood-Benoists or Benoist-Woods- did you guys like kick back and watch it together?
Chris: You know, we didn’t because *laughs* we don’t have cable. So, no!
Kevin: Don’t let CW hear that, or perhaps do and they’ll pay for cable! Why don’t you have cable? Where are you quarantining?
Chris: We’re in California, so we’re home, but we’re usually not home.
Kevin: Right! Oh my gosh, that’s right!
Chris: As a fortunate actor you move to California to never be there. I was shooting in New York and she was shooting in Vancouver when this all started and we were lucky to get home quickly but uh, but yeah I mean, we don’t spend that much time in our house, so we don’t have cable!
Kevin: Tell 'em why you were in New York. Was it the- that’s been announced, right?
Chris: Yeah, yeah for Thirtysomething, Thirtysomethingelse which is an ABC show that hopefully, knock on me, hopefully ends up going when we get out of this situation with Covid. Yeah, it’s a reboot of Thirtysomething, another 80s classic.
Kevin: Oh my God, that’s– you’ll have two, you’ll have fuckin MOTU and Thirtysomething. I watched Thirtysomething in real time when I was a kid, I loved that show, my mom watched it so I watched it with her and stuff, so I know all about Hope and Michael. I saw that they were redoing the show and I saw that fucking Chris was involved and I was like “What?!”, and I texted him “Are you fucking for real?” and shit, and you’re playing Hope and Michael’s- did they announce that? I don’t know
Chris: Yeah, yeah, I’m their son, yeah.
Kevin: So he’s tied in-
Marc: He’s a legacy character!
Kevin: Legacy character and like-
Chris: Legacy! This is what’s all about.
Kevin: That’s fucking dope, man. So I mean, look I can’t wait to watch that, but I have seen and heard four animatics so far of MOTU and-
Chris: Oh man.
Kevin:- your performance..
Chris: I cannot wait.
Kevin: It’s wonderful, you did a great, great job and made me proud as the guy who was like “You know who’d be good? This guy.” Put you forward–
Chris: This guy and they’re like “who’s that?” and you’re like “hang on, let me tell ya!”
Kevin: Yes, “Here let me pull up IMDb”. They knew who he was, they know you, man.
Marc: If you did like The Music Man it wouldn’t have been an issue: “You know who’d be good? Wood would be good, if he could do that, I bet you Wood could.”
Chris: *Laughs* Well, you got He-Man, my friends. (inaudible) city.That was a, that was a deep cut.
Marc: Hell yes.
Kevin:Look at you, look at how you came to life with a little theater ref, man. Jazz hands all around.
Chris: Oh yeah, you can feel the jazz hands from there in the Cantina.
Marc: Touching us all over
Kevin: Go back and enjoy the rest of your Thursday night, thanks for hanging out with us, say hello to the good lady Benoist and whatnot.
Chris: Thank you gentlemen. It was wonderful seeing you both.
Marc: Good to see you, sir. Be well.
Chris: Alright guys, be well.
Kevin: Give it up for He-Man himself, Chris Wood, everybody.
Marc: *cheers*
Kevin: Mon-El..flies away. He’s so good, such a good guy. I forgot he was such a fucking theater kid, that’s right, and we were like talking theater and shit. And I forgot his connection to Garber. One more we wrote in.
Marc: We have another point of entry.
Kevin: That’s true, that’s good. Man, I’m telling you, I ain’t fucking around, his script was one of the most impressive thing I’ve ever read,
Marc: Yeah, that’s awesome.
Kevin: It did make me feel jealous where I’m like “he’s that pretty and he can write like this? Like, all I had was writing, fuck!”
Marc: That’s a problem.
Kevin:God, what a good guy.





No comments:

Post a Comment